sábado, 17 de octubre de 2015

Interview: Jessica Harpley

























Tell us a little about yourself and your background? 

My name is Jessica, but most people call me Jess. I’m an associate producer at 

Backflip Studios by day, and a typical nerd/fitness buff by night. I love rock 

climbing, specifically bouldering. Something about not being roped in makes it 

that much more exciting!

I grew up in Denver, Colorado, which I still call my home. As a child, I had 

many brushes with death, nearly getting crushed by a 60lb window at the age of 

4. Then, driving my mother’s car into a house at the tender age of 6, and almost 

choking on candy two weeks later. From the age of 14-27 I’ve been in 3 more 

life threatening car accidents (and a handful of minor ones). I think this may be 

how some of my screws came loose… But it’s definitely why death has a large 

place in my life and writing.

Which writers inspire you? 

Orson Scott Card - He’s a misogynist, and sort of a jerk, but his writing is usually 

fantastic.

Stephen King - He’s been making me wet the bed since I was 5! (I no longer wet 

the bed… >_>)

Isaac Asimov - Genius level writing, his grasp on science is epic.

Harry Harrison - For having written the Stainless Steel Rat in the 70’s, his grasp 

on the concept of science, and what the future might look like, was even more 

amazing. His writing is typically very engaging as well, only drags every once in 

a while.

Suzanne Collins - I couldn’t sleep midway through Catching Fire because I was 

too worried about the characters. Stayed up all night to finish it and 

Mockingjay… Went to work very tired. That’s saying something for how 

engaged she can get the readers.

Have you written any other novels in collaboration with other writers?

I have not, but it sounds like an awesome idea!

When did you decide to become a writer?

When I was born probably, but when I wrote my first story, I was 5.

Do you write full-time or part-time? 

Well… I write about 35 hours a week (or work on something for my books), so I 

guess full-time, but I do also have a full-time job. It’s taxing to say the least.

Do you work to an outline or plot or do you prefer just see where an idea 

takes you? 

My first book that I wrote to completion was just seeing where the idea took me. 

That took 5 years. I vow to never do it again. All of my work is well outlined 

before I finish writing the first chapter (or before I begin sometimes).

Do you have a strategy for finding reviewers? 

Bookbloggerlist.com is one of them, but otherwise I rely on my Marketing 

Manager to provide me with a decent list of contacts. He’s not cheap (keep in 

mind my budget is small), but he is extremely good at what he does. (Thanks 

Kent!)

What are your thoughts on good/bad reviews? 

All (most) reviews are good, just the difference between positive and negative 

^_^. Negative reviews are always helpful. As long as you don’t take it as a 

personal offense, you can use it as a tool to grow, and get better at your craft. 

Positive reviews are also good, but rarely will they point out room for 

improvement. I’m always on a quest to improve, so I seek out all the negative 

reviews!

How can readers discover more about you and you work?

You can find me in a few different places.




Twitter: @Nyraphe

Any Comments for the Blog readers?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read Josie’s interview with me! I hope 

to see you poking around my social media sometime soon. Stay awesome ^_^

Any feedback for me or the blog?

I firstly really like that the blog is bilingual. I’ve literally never seen that 

anywhere else, so you’re really doing a service to Spanish speakers! Also, you 

include the Google translate widget, which is just awesome. I think I’ll add it to 

my blog now!

Your content is really great, but the only real “negative” feedback I have is that 

it’s difficult to see right away what rating you’ve given the book, since you use 

different icons for different genre’s which is also cool =)








1 comentario:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...